I can’t say that our marriage is perfect, but we have learned a lot over the past 17 years. Like how important it is to make time for each other. Life gets busy and it’s so nice to drop everything and just spend quality time together. You NEED to make sure you are giving your marriage the time and attention it deserves. It’s hard when the kids are younger but I promise it gets easier. Just hang in there and do what you can. If you need to schedule date night in your calendar, then do that. Whether it’s once a week or once a month, it will make a huge difference.
One of my FAVORITE date nights we have had is our 10 year anniversary. I scheduled a photo session for JUST me and my husband, followed by dinner at The Black Angus. We had SO much fun guys! We laughed, we kissed, we hugged, we remembered why we were married in the first place. We enjoyed each others company. That is what date nights are suppose to be for. Was it a fancy night out? No, the simplest things are what typically makes us the happiest. I am so planning this again for our 20th anniversary which is only in 3 years!
Why should we date our spouse?
- Your marriage matters. Dating your spouse gives you time to relax and focus on each other. Free from kids, bills and other worries that can put a strain on a marriage. You need this time to remember why you got married in the first place.
- It allows us a reason to put on pants. Okay, so stay at home, work at home moms don’t typically have a reason to get dressed up. So your husband comes home and you are almost always in workout clothes. This gives you are reason to put on some pants or a cute dress and wow him.
- No Dishes. Someone else gets to do the cooking and the dishes. Less stress and more reasons to have a great night with your spouse. Leave all your worries at the door.
- Talk about the future. I don’t really have deep conversations with my husband like we use too earlier in our marriage. When we go out, we tend to talk about our future goals, what we are working towards and why. We talk about the kids (yes, because we can’t talk about them in the same room). We talk about work and jobs, how things are going. We talk about our family and things we have had on our minds.
- It’s FUN! I don’t know about you but my husband is my best friend. So I always enjoy all our dates and trips we take together. We always have a great time no matter what might go wrong. We are making memories and that is what life is all about.