So you may have noticed a huge trend in hot cocoa bombs this holiday season. I mean everyone loves hot cocoa! The hot cocoa bombs are super fun for kids. My youngest LOVES them. They are not super easy to make but it gets better over time.
So you will need a few items…
- Silicone Molds (Amazon)
- Chocolate for melting
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Hot cocoa mix
- Marshmallows (optional)
- 8 oz. HOT milk
- Favorite cocoa mug
- Small pan
- spoon or pastry brush
Now you may want to expect the worst your first try. There is a learning curve and they do NOT come out perfect the first time. My second time was a little better and it gets better from there. I mean, they don’t have to look pretty but it helps.
Start off by melting the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl 30 seconds, stir, then repeat until chocolate is melted. Do this very slowly to avoid burning the chocolate. We used white chocolate we already had in the pantry or you can use semi chocolate chips used for baking. The white chocolate was thinner but it still worked just fine and I think I prefer the taste better. The white chocolate makes it creamier.
2. After you melt your chocolate in the microwave you will take a spoon (or pastry brush) and drop 2 teaspoons of melted chocolate into one of the mold cups. Spread it up the sides, to the edges, with the back side of the spoon. Wait 5 minutes until the chocolate sets and repeat. Some of the chocolate may pool at the bottom. Make sure to spread it up and get the sides as thick as possible. Then place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
3. While waiting for molds to set in freezer, get a small pot of water and heat to boiling. Place a small plate over pot so the steam heats the plate up. We will use this to heat the edges of the chocolate molds to seal the two molds together.
4. When ready to take out of the freezer, loosen half of the spheres on the sides by stretching the edges of the mold.
5. Fill half the spheres (in the molds) with a tablespoon of cocoa mix and 4-5 marshmallows.
6. Then take the other sphere and place it on the warm plate for a second just to melt the edges. Then immediately press it together with a filed half. Hold the two together for a few minutes to seal.
7. Put the molds back into the freezer about 10 minutes to further seal.
Then put 8 oz. of cold milk into a glass or glass measuring cup and heat for 2 minutes. You want your milk HOT! Then put cocoa bomb into favorite mug and pour hot milk over it slowly and watch the magic happen.